From 1 May 2021 Tasmanians and visitors will be required to use the Check in TAS app when they visit a range of business, organisations and events. This will help to keep our community safe.
What is contact tracing?
The market is required to record your name, telephone number and/or email address and the time and date you entered the market. This information will be used by the Tasmanian Government so they can contact you if there is a COVID-19 outbreak.
How is the market recording contract tracing?
The good news is that we have two very simple ways for people to register their contact details with us.
- Download the Check in TAS app (preferred as much easier and faster)
- Complete a paper form at the entrance to the market
How to set up the app
First download the app and register your details
- Before you come to the market, download the ‘Check in TAS’ app to your mobile phone.
The free Check In TAS app is available for download from the Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
If you would like to read more, a link to the official government information is here - https://coronavirus.tas.gov.au/check-in-tas/information-for-patrons
2. Open the app and register your contact details. You only need to do this once.
How to check in at the market
When you are at the market, go to the entrance and line up in the FAST Lane.
- Open the ‘Check in TAS’ app on your phone and select ‘Check in Now’
- Hold your phone over the QR code on the signage. The app will read the code using the phone camera.
- Before you press submit add the names of any additional people that are in your group.
- When the check-in is complete, show our staff the successful check in screen with the green tick.
If you have any trouble our safety angels will be on hand to help answer questions. We will also have paper forms available for people to complete.
Commonly Asked Questions
I don’t have a phone what can I do?
If you don’t have a phone, then simply complete a paper form at one of our entrances to the market.
Can I check in before I come to the market?
No, you cannot check in before you are at the market. You must check in as you enter the market and show your registration to our safety angel volunteers. That way we know exactly what time everyone entered the market for safety reasons.
How long does check in take?
Once you have the app installed on your phone and your details entered, check-in should only take only a few seconds.
If you need to fill in one of the paper forms, then this may take a little longer depending on how many people are waiting to enter their details at our registration table.
Can I check in other people that are with me?
Yes, the app allows you to add the names of other people in your group.
What happens to my information?
The data collected on the Check in TAS app goes directly to the Tasmanian Government and will only be accessed if contact tracing is required.
Paper forms that are completed at the market are held by Salamanca Market for 28 days and only released to the Tasmanian Government on request. After 28 days they will be destroyed. Please refer to the City of Hobart's privacy statement.